Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Philadelphia Flyers Season Preview 2014-15

The Flyers have a new GM in Ron Hextall who made some interesting moves over the summer. The Flyers suffered a blow to the blueline and lost a fan favorite in Scott Hartnell. The Flyers have a dark history of getting in their own way.

Additions: R.J. Umberger, Michael Del Zotto, 
These are two pretty good players that should help out the Flyers but I wouldn't look for them to have a major impact.

Departures: Scott Hartnell, Steve Downie, 
Losing Hartnell will be a big blow to the Flyers. He was a solid player and a fan favorite. This move completely stunned me when I saw that Hextall traded him to Columbus. 
Positives: The biggest positive for the Flyers is that they have their star player, Claude Giroux. G had a TERRIBLE start to last season but I wouldn't expect that to happen again. He's the glue of the Flyers. Wayne Simmonds is a player that gets better and better every season so I wouldn't expect that to stop now. He lead the team with 29 goals last season so I would  expect to see that number grow this season. The Flyers also have some promise in young players such as Brayden Schenn and Sean Couturier. 

Negatives: I'm not sure how Steve Mason will stand the pressure of being the #1 goaltender. Nothing that I've seen from Mason has really impressed me so I will look to see how he plays this season. If he cannot handle it the Flyers have a solid back up in Ray Emery. A big question for the Flyers is Vincent Lecavalier, I expected them to dump his off to Nashville yet he is still in Philly. Vinny struggled in 5 on 5 play this year so I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved soon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment