Sunday, September 25, 2016

RIP Jose Fernandez


By now, I'm sure everyone knows that Jose Fernandez was killed in a boating accident early this morning, so this is more just a tribute blog to him than an informative one. I still can't even comprehend the fact that Jose is gone. I woke up this morning and I got the update on my phone that he died and I just didn't believe it. I figured it was just some other Jose Fernandez. I mean there's gotta be quite a few of those. That's like a Mike Smith dying. But evidently it was this Jose Fernandez. This electric, talented, joyful and brave superstar. He truly was one of sports' brightest and youngest stars. Not just for baseball. For a casual baseball fan, you may not know much about Jose Fernandez. But if you follow baseball you know that it was more than his talent that made him a joy to watch. I honestly don't know if I've ever seen anyone have more fun on a baseball field than Jose Fernandez. You hear a lot when people die, and it often is true, that they could light up a room or that you'll remember them by their smile. But with Jose, I think that is most definitely true with almost everyone who has ever loved him, met him, or watched him on TV. I've never met Jose Fernandez, never even watched him in person, but along with his electric fastball and his absurd slider, I'll remember that huge smile that he carried around the ballpark, and the incredible joy that he got out of playing baseball. And just being alive. This truly is a sad day for many people. I don't think I've ever been hit harder by a death of a person I've never met than this one today. I can't stop thinking about how sad it must be for his family and friends and teammates. People he had a great impact on every day. Basically I'm just shocked that this happened and I'm gonna miss being able to see him pitch or watch highlights of him every five days. He had an incredible future in front him career wise, but it really is about more than just baseball. Jose has a baby on the way, and it sucks that he won't be there for the birth of his child. This whole thing just sucks. But some of the stories that were coming out today about his life just show how amazing of a life Jose lived in his way too short life. 24 is too young. Rest in peace, Jose Fernandez.











And the best for last. Never thought I'd use this gif in a sad way. Just look at how damn happy he is. Love the guy.



No comments:

Post a Comment